Family and children

In Denmark, families are offered childcare and public schools

Read more and self-services

If you have been granted a residence permit to work or follow a higher educational programme in Denmark, your spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner, as well as children under the age of 18 who are living at home with you are also eligible for residence permits.

However, you must document that you have at your disposal the equivalent of DKK 25,000 per family member. Your family members must be able to support themselves, and you must live together in Denmark at the same address.

Your spouse/partner is allowed to work full-time for the entire period that his/her residence permit is valid.

If you are in doubt about the rules, or if you want further information, please contact the Danish Immigration Service. The Danish Immigration Service and the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment have gathered information about obtaining residence and work permits at an official web portal about immigration rules,

Experience shows that your partner feels more settled in Denmark, if he/she has a job. A job can give your partner a sense of belonging to Denmark, as well as help them build his/her own local social networks. If your partner is an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, your partner does not need a permit to work in Denmark. If not, he/she is allowed to work full-time for the period his/her residence permit is valid.

Workindenmark can help your accompanying partner with the job search.

Your partner can also upload his/her CV to Workindenmark's CV bank and use the section Find a Job.

Your partner can participate in Workindenmark’s job search seminars for international jobseekers, in which he/she can learn how to write an application and CV which appeals to Danish employers.

Danish companies with many international employees also offer counselling for accompanying partners and may have their own job banks or networks that you and your partner can use. In connection with your job search, you may be required to have your qualifications officially evaluated.

Your partner can improve his/her job opportunities in Denmark by participating in Workindenmark’s job search seminars held in a number of cities in Denmark.

As part of the seminars, participants will get an introduction to job search resources on as well as an opportunity to have a consultation regarding cv and job possibilities in Denmark.

Children in Denmark receive 10 years of compulsory education starting in August in the year in which they turn six years old. This primary and lower secondary education consists of a one-year pre-school class, nine years of primary and lower secondary education and an optional tenth form.

Most Danish children attend municipal primary and lower secondary school, which is free of charge. But there are also a huge number of private and independent schools where parents pay tuition fees.

Many families who come to Denmark for professional reasons prefer to send their children to a private international school, most of which are situated in or around the large cities. Some of these have waiting lists.

After primary and lower secondary school, children can choose between a number of free, public secondary education programmes that prepare them for higher education.

An overview of the international basic schools in Denmark is available from the website of the Ministry for Children, Education and Gender quality.

All children in Denmark are guaranteed a place in a childcare institution. Almost all Danish families use child daycare.

Options for childcare consist of day nurseries for children 0-3 years old, kindergartens for children 3-6 years old, and pre-school/after school centres for children 6-10 years old. In addition, there is the option of local childcare, in which children are cared for in private homes.

The opening hours of the childcare facilities are in most cases Monday-Thursday 6:30 am to 5 pm, and Fridays until 4 pm.

Childcare is financed partly by the parents, partly by the municipality. Prices differ somewhat depending on the municipality and the type of childcare. Prices for children 0-3 years old are approx. up to DKK 3900 per month including meals, kindergartens often cost less.

Most childcare services are municipal, but there are a great many privately owned facilities as well, and in a few of them the spoken language is English. To register, please contact the respective municipality, and do it as soon as possible. A waiting list is not unusual.

You can sign up for municipal childcare services and deregister your child digitally, by using the self-service (click Start).

Please do as follows:

  • Log on digital placement service (digital pladsanvisning) via
  • When you apply for a childcare service, you must consider the date from when you need childcare
  • Log on with NemID
  • Click on the name of the child
  • You can now choose to sign up for childcare, deregister you child or apply for a free place
  • You will then get a receipt, which you can save or print out

Get help filling in the form

In Denmark, some families choose to have an au pair. Au pairs can be granted a residence permit in order to function as au pairs with host families in Denmark, if certain conditions are fulfilled.

You will find extensive information on the rules for hiring and employing au pairs and a link to an application on the official web portal about immigration rules,

Danish universities and other institutions of higher education are public and free of charge. They offer a range of opportunities for international students. All programmes are internationally recognised, and more than 500 programmes are taught in English.

To gain admission, you must meet both academic and language requirements. Each institution is responsible for its own admissions. Requirements vary from programme to programme.

A residence permit to study in Denmark can be granted to students who gain admission to higher educational programmes.

Read more about programmes at, managed by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher Education:

Overview of the Danish Education System by the Ministry of Children and Education:

When you have children in Denmark, you may qualify for various grants for your children. These grants are called family benefits. Family benefits are administered by Udbetaling Danmark - Public Benefits Administration.

Find more information about the various types of family benefits:

Maternity benefits are benefits that you have the possibility of getting as compensation for the income which you do not get when you are on maternity leave. Maternity benefits are administered by Udbetaling Danmark (Public Benefits Administration).

Find more information about maternity/paternity benefits:

In many cases you will be able to bring family pets, when you and your family move to Denmark to work.

Dogs, cats and ferrets from other EU Member States may enter Denmark through any border crossing as long as the animal has ID, an EU Pet Passport and rabies vaccination.

For other pets and when bringing pets from countries outside the EU, there are extra requirements. Bringing pets from countries outside the EU, you need to notify the Danish Border Inspection Post prior to import.