Study in Denmark

If you are going to Denmark to study, there are a number of practical things you need to prepare

Read more and self-services

Nordic and EU/EAA citizens

If you are a Nordic citizen, you are free to reside, study and work in Denmark. If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss citizen seeking residence in Denmark, you may be subject to special rules due to the EU regulations on freedom of movement.

Read more about EU/EEA and Nordic citizens:

Citizens from outside Scandinavia, the EU/EAA or Switzerland

As a foreign national from a country outside Scandinavia, the EU/EAA or Switzerland, you may be granted a residence permit in order to study in Denmark. There are three main categories of study which may warrant a residence permit:

Application form: If you wish to apply for a residence permit as a student, both you and the educational institution in Denmark must supply information for the processing of your application:

Danish institutions of higher education offer a range of opportunities for international students. All programmes are internationally recognised and of the highest quality. More than 500 programmes are taught in English. To gain admission, you must meet both academic and language requirements.

As an international student, you can choose between several types of programmes or degrees taught either entirely or partly in English.

Please read more about your study options here:

If you want to study in Denmark as an exchange student, you must already be enrolled at an institution of higher education. Usually, such students come to Denmark through an agreement like Erasmus or a governmental bilateral agreement.

We advise you to contact your own educational establishment first to find out more. However, if you do not find any helpful information there, please contact the international office of the Danish institution where you wish to study.

A guide to understanding Danish Qualifications, degrees and their equivalent certificates and diplomas can be found at:

For international profiles applying for a job or education, an assessment may be needed in order to establish at which entry level their current qualifications equate with Danish standards and expectations. The Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science provides assessments of non-Danish degrees, diplomas and certificates and information about international recognition of qualifications.

Read more about the assessment and recognition of foreign qualifications here:

Higher education in Denmark is free for students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland. Similarly, if you are participating in an exchange programme, your studies in Denmark are free. You also do not pay for tuition if you have a:

  • Permanent residence permit
  • Temporary residence permit that can be upgraded to a permanent one
  • Parent from a non-EU/EEA country who is already working in Denmark.

All other students must pay tuition fees. Annual tuition fees for full-time degree students range from DKK 45,000-120,000 (USD 8,000-21,000 / EUR 6,000 to 16,000). Please check with the institution of your interest.

Students from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland will be charged a fee when applying for a residence permit (visa) to study in Denmark.

Most Danish institutions have bilateral agreements with foreign institutions of higher education. These agreements are usually designed for mutual exchange of students, researchers and teachers. National and European programmes offer scholarships for international students wishing to study in Denmark through an institutional agreement, as guest students or as a part of an international double or joint degree. Certain restrictions and prerequisites apply for the different programmes.

Read more about the different scholarships and programmes at studyindenmark:

Danish state education support (SU) is generally only awarded to Danish residents. If certain conditions apply, international students may, however, apply for equal status in so far as the state education support is concerned.

For details on how to apply, visit the website of the Danish Agency for Higher Education and Educational Support:

If you have to repay a student loan or any overpaid student grants you have to pay to Udbetaling Danmark, Student debt.

Find more information about student debt, for example how to pay your debt, postpone your payment or how to set up direct debit with Betalingsservice:

If you are going to study in Denmark and receive SU (state education support), you need a tax card. You have to fill in and submit form no. 04.063 EN - Information for use regarding a tax card and a Danish tax registration number (CPR number). Please forward the form to your local tax centre or via e-mail to the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen).

Please find more details on:

Danish universities do not have a tradition for on-campus housing. Most students live in student halls of residence (kollegier) situated some distance from campus. An efficient public transport system also makes it easy to travel between your residence, campus and the city centre.

Finding a place to live often takes time. You can contact your Danish host institution for information about housing as soon as you have been accepted into a study programme.

It can be especially difficult to find housing in the big cities during August and September. We advise against travelling to Denmark at this time without reserving a room first.

Some international students prefer to rent a room or a sub-let from a Danish student or landlord. Student halls of residence are also an option. Others rent a flat or a house, which they share with friends.

If you are going to live in Copenhagen, you can read more about accommodation here:

Many students in Denmark have a job in addition to their studies. A student job may consist of short periods of employment in connection with a particular project that you or a company are managing, or it may be arranged as an internship.

As an international student in Denmark, you too will have the right to work while you live here. You will also have the opportunity to seek full-time employment when you have completed your studies

There are many advantages of having a student job whilst studying in Denmark. Using your skills in practice will increase your knowledge, strengthen your network, and also improve your proficiency in Danish and give you first-hand experience of Danish workplace culture.

The homepage workindenmark provides you with information on how to find a relevant student job in Denmark. You can use workindenmark’s Job and CV bank. This platform makes it easier for Danish companies and international students to find each other.

As a foreign student from a country outside Scandinavia, the EU/EAA or Switzerland following a higher educational programme or a required preparatory course, you are allowed to work 15 hours a week, as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August.

It will appear from your residence permit if you have a right to work.

If you are under the age of 18, you are only eligible for a work permit if you have a written offer or contract for a specific position, and if the employer confirms to the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment that workplace environment legislation is upheld.

If you work illegally in Denmark, e.g. by working more than the allowed number of hours, the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment may revoke or refuse to extend your residence permit. This can happen even if you otherwise meet the conditions for your residence permit, e.g. if you are still actively enrolled in your course or study programme.

If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and you and your employer may risk a fine or imprisonment.

International students can also use the website, which is a public employment service for Danish companies and foreign job seekers. At workindenmark’s CV bank, you can create a CV stating that you are an international student. This will allow Danish companies to find your CV and contact you if they have a job that matches your qualifications.

You can also search the job bank yourself and look for specific student jobs, internships or project partnerships. In their job ads, companies specify whether they are looking for a student worker, an intern, a trainee, a project partnership or the like.

Please access the job bank and enter the job category or industry you wish to work in. In the category ‘student projects’, for example, you will find companies that are specifically looking for students interested in doing their bachelor or master thesis project in collaboration with the company.

If you want regular updates on relevant student jobs, you can use the job bank’s subscription service:

AUB – Arbejdsgivernes Uddannelsesbidrag (the Employers’ Reimbursement System) is a financial support scheme for trainees in Denmark.

If you study in Denmark and you have a trainee agreement with an employer, you may obtain financial support through AUB for your expenses on e.g. moving, housing and transportation.

Your basis for staying in Denmark determines whether you can get support from AUB. You must take your basic education at a Danish school.

Contact your school if you want to apply for AUB.

If you have questions about AUB: