Holiday allowance

When you work in Denmark for a Danish employer, you have the right to holiday allowance


Read more and self-services

Start Claim your holiday allowance for 2015/2016

You apply for disbursement of your holiday allowance on the self-service page. You can also see the holiday allowance you are owed at any time.

If you do not have a NemID

If you do not have NemID, you can apply for disbursement of your holiday allowance in other ways. It depends on the party which disburses the holiday allowance. Read more:

Digital holiday letter

In the course of March, Feriepengeinfo will send you a holiday letter if holiday allowance is owed to you from 1 May. You will get the letter by Digital Post or by regular post, if you are not registered for Digital Post.

If you have not received a letter, this may be because Feriepengeinfo does not have your current address. You need to notify your change of address with the National Registration Office for Feriepengeinfo to receive it automatically.

Also read

Start View your holiday allowance

You can always see the holiday allowance you have earned on your self-service page.

In March, before the holiday year begins, you will get a holiday letter from Feriepengeinfo by Digital Post. The letter gives you an overview of your holiday allowance – no matter which party is to disburse it. If you are not registered for Digital Post, you will get the letter by regular post.

Your employer calculates your holiday allowance. In general, you accrue 12.5% of your salary in holiday allowance. This complies with 2.08 days of holiday for every month that you are employed.

If your employment is shorter than one month or if there are days during a month that you do not accrue entitlement to holiday, you accrue 0.07 days of holiday for each day you are employed.

Holiday allowance from FerieKonto

FerieKonto administrates holiday allowance for all employees that are not included in a collective holiday arrangement.
Read more about when your employer is to pay holiday allowance to FerieKonto here, if FerieKonto is to disburse your holiday allowance:

As a general rule, you must take holiday in the right holiday year to claim your holiday allowance.

The first day of holiday must be on or after 1 May.

If you have applied for holiday allowance from FerieKonto, you will receive your allowance approx. four working days after you applied via the online self-service. This also applies if you enter the holiday retrospectively. Your holiday allowance will not be disbursed until one month before your first day of holiday at the earliest. The money will be paid into your NemKonto.

If you have applied for holiday allowance from your employer or another holiday fund, the time it takes before your holiday allowance is disbursed may vary. For more information, contact the company which is to disburse your holiday allowance.

You can see the name of the party which is to disburse your holiday allowance in the letter notifying you of your holiday entitlement (holiday letter) under ’Udbetaler’ (Disbursed by) or by logging onto your self-service page.

On 1 September 2020 we will get a new Holiday Act. The new Holiday Act allows you to take your holiday as soon as the month after you have earned it. The new Holiday Act does not change the fact that you will earn 25 holidays per year - the equivalent of 2.08 holidays for each month of employment.

The transition to the new Danish Holiday Act

Before the new Holiday Act enters into force, there will be a transition year from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020 which is to ensure that we all transition smoothly from the old holiday rules to the new ones.

The holiday pay that you earn during the transition year will be converted into savings in the new fund, Lønmodtagernes Feriemidler. You will have these savings paid out when you reach the state pension age.

You can read more about holiday pay during the transition year here:

You have to take your holiday to get your holiday allowance.

However, if you are unable to take your holiday for any of the reasons below, you can claim your holiday allowance without having to take the holiday.

You can claim your holiday pay if:

  • You are on sick leave
  • You are taking maternity/paternity/adoption leave, but not child care leave
  • You are resident outside of Denmark and are not covered by the Danish Holiday Act
  • You have become self-employed
  • You have become a stay-at-home parent/spouse/partner
  • You have been elected mayor, taken up a ministerial appointment or similar position of trust
  • You are serving a custodial sentence in a prison or other closed institution
  • You are involved in an industrial dispute which is notified and lawfully concluded
  • You are doing military or other similar service
  • You have no holiday allowance to cover your holiday due to a dispute between you and your employer over a holiday allowance claim – provided that you have filed the claim before the end of the holiday year
  • You are attending to a close relative who is ill or dying and are therefore on leave, or you have for a limited period of time been awarded compensation for loss of earnings, pay or other remuneration under the Social Services Act.

Reasons such as severe pressure of work or a change of job are not valid reasons for being prevented from taking holiday.

If you are prevented from taking your main holiday before 30 September, you are entitled to up to 15 days of holiday pay.

If you are prevented from taking holiday before the end of the holiday year on 30 April, you are entitled to holiday pay for any residual days of holiday.

How to claim your holiday pay

If you are prevented from taking holiday, you can apply online:

If you cannot apply digitally, you can use this form:

If you believe there are errors in the amount or the number of days of holiday, you must contact the employer from which you earned the holiday allowance, because the errors can only be corrected by the employer.

If you have any questions about disbursement of your holiday allowance, you must contact the party which is to disburse the holiday allowance.

If you are unclear about where your holiday allowance is deposited, you can log on to your self-service page to see which company is listed under ’Udbetaler’ (Disburser). This also appears from your holiday letter.

You accrue holiday allowance throughout the calendar year for use in the subsequent holiday year. The holiday year runs from 1 May to 30 April. This means that you can use holiday allowance earned between 1 January and 31 December 2014 in the holiday year from 1 May 2015 to 30 April 2016.

Holiday allowance may consist of:

  • paid holiday and holiday supplement
  • payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday

Paid holiday and holiday supplement

If you are entitled to paid holiday, you will receive your usual pay when you take holiday. In addition, you are entitled to a holiday supplement of 1% of your pay during the qualifying year from your employer. You are entitled to disbursement of the holiday supplement by the time your holiday begins at the latest. Paid holiday and holiday supplement is managed by your employer.

Payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday

Employees who do not get paid holiday may have earned entitlement to payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday. When you have earned entitlement to payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday, you can claim an amount corresponding to the number of days of holiday you take. At you can see the payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday you have earned.

Contact FerieKonto, Feriepengeinfo or Lønmodtagernes Feriemidler