Leaving Denmark: Deregister your Danish address when moving abroad

You have to report that you leave to the Civil Registration Office if:

  • you will be gone for more than 6 months. Please note that if you go to Denmark on holiday during your stay abroad, this will not interrupt the 6-month period.
  • you are gone for less than 6 months and you sublet or hire out your residence while you are gone. That is also called giving up the right of disposal.

You deregister from the Civil Registration System (CPR) in the self-service using MitID. If you do not have MitID, you can book an appointment with Citizen Service, and you can fill in a leaving form and submitting it to your municipality of residence.

When leaving Denmark, you must destroy your yellow national health insurance card ('sundhedskort') (cut it up) as it only applies to individuals living in Denmark.

How to

  • You need MitID to use the self-service
  • You must report your departure to the municipality in which you live
  • You do not need to know your address abroad. You can later use the self-service to provide your foreign address
  • You must report your move before travelling abroad.