Use your non-Danish eID to access Danish public self-services

As a foreigner or as a Dane with an eID from another EU/EEA country, you can use Danish digital self-services

Read more and self-services

With an an electronic ID from an EU/EAA country (eID) you gain access to many Danish public self-services.

You can already access some self-services without further action, e.g. apply to enrolment in Danish higher education, while other self-services can only be accessed if you have a Danish civil registration number (CPR number), i.e. after working or living in Denmark. This requires you to connect your non-Danish eID to your Danish CPR number.

What can I access with a CPR-connected eID?

By connecting your non-Danish eID from an EU/EAA country to your CPR number, you will currently be able to

  • Manage your Danish pension

More services are being connected, so be sure to check back later if a service you need is not on the list right now.

Soon for example, an Italian citizen will be able to claim their holiday allowance from working in Denmark without sending letters back and forth to Denmark. Their Italian national eID will be valid which means that they can do the paperwork online.

How to get started

The first time you log in to a Danish self-service, which requires a CPR number you will be asked to connect your CPR number to your non-Danish eID. You will be redirected to another online service, the Danish connect-service, where you can apply for a connection.

You can start the application here:

What is a CPR number?

Current and former residents and taxpayers of Denmark have been given a civil registration number, which is called the CPR number. The CPR number is essential in relation to any contact with the Danish public authorities.

An eID is an electronic identity from an EU/EEA country.

An eID or electronic identity is a way to identify electronically. It commonly enables access to a country’s public self-services, such as tax return, pension application, driving licence application, social security, banks and more.

Electronic identities are commonly issued by governments or by private organisation such as banks acting on behalf of a government.

Non-Danish eIDs cannot automatically be used in other EU member states.

  • In Denmark, access is currently available with electronic identity means from the following countries: Belgium, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

If you do not have an eID from an EU/EAA country

To apply for an eID in your resident EU member state, you need to contact the local government authority that is issuing the eID in your country.

Find contact information to the eID providers in other Member States

Last updated: 03 May 2023