In Denmark three insurances are mandatory by law:
- Liability insurance if you own a motor vehicle
- A dog insurance if you have a dog
- Insurance against fire if you own real estate.
All other private insurances are voluntary. For instance basic family insurance (“familiens basisforsikring” or “indboforsikring”) that in most cases consists of:
- Contents insurance covering personal property in the event of theft, fire, or water damage
- Personal liability insurance
- Legal protection, covering lawyer expenses for certain legal matters
In addition, it can be reassuring to have a private accident insurance. In Denmark, social security is covered by the Danish state, but as a supplement there are private health insurances. Read more at the section on healthcare.
The insurance premium can vary from one insurance company to another. Generally, insurance papers in Denmark are only available in Danish.