Residence in Denmark for EU/EEA citizens

As a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can reside in Denmark under EU regulations

Read more and self-services

If you are a citizen of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland, you can reside in Denmark under EU regulations.

You can also reside in Denmark under EU regulations, if you are a family member to an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. As a family member you do not have to be an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen.

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you may freely enter Denmark and remain for up to 3 months without registering your residence with the Danish authorities.

If you will be residing in Denmark for longer than 3 months, you need to apply for an EU residence document (also known as a registration certificate) within 3 months after entering Denmark.

If you are a job seeker, you are required to submit your application within 6 months after entering Denmark. If you are a citizen of Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden, you need not apply for an EU residence document since as a citizen of a Nordic country you have the right to reside in Denmark without an EU residence document. Instead you may contact the Citizen Service of the local municipality directly in order to get a civil registration number (CPR number).

You can find the relevant application pages for all types of grounds for EU residence on

An application page on contains all necessary information on how to apply for an EU residence document. Here you will also find the relevant application form, in addition to a step-by-step guide to successfully submitting the application. is the official portal for foreign nationals who wish to visit, live or work in Denmark.

If you apply for EU residence in Denmark, your application will be processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

You can appeal by sending a letter or an email to or by calling the Immigration Appeals Board, Adelgade 13, 1304 Copenhagen K, email:, tel.: +45 61 98 38 00.

There are no formal requirements to how you should write the appeal, but you should state your Personal ID number (issued to you by SIRI), the case number of the case you are appealing and a copy of SIRIs decision.

On the website of the Immigration Appeals Board you can find more information about what you can do to further the processing of your appeal.

The relevant Danish legislation is the Executive Order on EU residence which is available in Danish only.

The website provides international jobseekers and Danish employers with the information, guidance and tools to find each other. Workindenmark is a public employment service for highly qualified international candidates looking for a job in Denmark, and Danish companies searching for talented foreign candidates.

Workindenmark is part of the Danish Ministry of Employment and member of European Employment Service (EURES).

Last updated: 23 January 2024