How to apply for a certificate of marital status

When you apply to get married, you must submit an application – a marriage declaration – to the Agency of Family Law and pay a fee.

If the relevant conditions are met, we will issue a certificate of marital status, so that you can get married in Denmark.

NB: A certificate of marital status/marriage certificate is valid for no more than 4 months from the date of issue.

If you do not get married during this period, the certificate will lapse and you will need to re-apply. When re-applying, you will need to re-submit all the documents and pay another fee of DKK 1,900 (2024).

How to

  • If you both have MitID, you must use the Agency of Family Law’s digital application form where you log in and sign using your MitID.
  • If you complete the form together and only one of you has MitID, you can choose to either log in using either MitID or SMS login.
  • If you do not complete the application together and the other party does not have MitID, you must still complete the digital application and log in using your MitID. You do not need to sign your part of the application by hand. In this case, the other party will receive an email for SMS login.
  • If you do not have MitID, you can use the Agency of Family Law’s digital application form where you log in via SMS login.
  • You can print the forms if you have been exempted from Digital Post within the public administration.
  • You can also ask a representative to submit your application on your behalf. If you do this, you must give the representative authority to submit the application. However, you will still need to sign the application itself with the marriage declaration under oath.

If you are unable to use the digital application form, you can print the marriage declaration and send it to us together with all relevant documentation. You should note that applications which are submitted digitally tend to be processed more smoothly.

You will find the form to print on our website: