Residence in Denmark for non-EU/EEA citizens

As a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country, you need a residence permit to reside in Denmark

Read more and self-services

If you are a citizen from a country outside the EU/EEA, you must apply for a residence and work permit in order to reside and work in Denmark.

In the majority of cases, your future employer in Denmark will contribute with information to the application.

There are several different options for a residence and work permit in Denmark. Your education, qualifications and the type of job you have been offered are important to how you should apply.

You must be aware that a Danish authorisation can be a condition for your residence and work permit. For example, this applies if you are going to work as a doctor, dentist or a schoolteacher.

You can read more about residence in Denmark as a non-EU/EEA citizen on

You can find the relevant application pages for all types of grounds for residence on

An application page on contains all the necessary information on how to apply for a residence and work permit. Here you will also find the relevant application form, in addition to a step-by-step guide to successfully submit the application.

You can apply in your home country through a Danish mission – that is a Danish Embassy or a Danish Consulate General.

Note that all non-EU/EEA citizens over the age of 18 applying for residence permits must have their biometric features (facial image and fingerprints) recorded in connection with the submission of the application. 

If you apply for a residence and work permit based on work or study, your application will be processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

You need a residence permit in order to get a civil registration number (CPR number).

The video below is a guide to you as a citizen from outside the EU/EEA, taking up residence in Denmark for more than 3 months to work or study.

You can appeal by sending a letter or an email to or by calling the Immigration Appeals Board, Adelgade 13, 1304 Copenhagen K, email:, tel.: +45 61 98 38 00.

There are no formal requirements to how you should write the appeal, but you should state your Personal ID number (issued to you by SIRI), the case number of the case you are appealing and a copy of SIRI’s decision.

On the website of the Immigration Appeals Board you can find more information about what you can do to further the processing of your appeal:

The website provides international jobseekers and Danish employers with the information, guidance and tools to find each other. Workindenmark is a public employment service for highly qualified international candidates looking for a job in Denmark, and Danish companies searching for talented foreign candidates.

Workindenmark is part of the Danish Ministry of Employment and member of European Employment Service (EURES):

Last updated: 17 April 2024